Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dirt Jumping

Today is my Sunday, even though it's Tuesday. I spent most of the day doing resume things and sending out emails.

I am trying to get some exercise every day, and today I was too tired to go running, so I went biking instead. I took Celeste and put her in the Shifty (that's my car, plate ends in SHF) and drove to the dirt jumps in the Village.

I haven't been to the dirt jumps yet this year, and it was rough at the beginning! I eventually got cleanly through the first three sets.

When I left, I heard a scraping and a thunk coming from the top of my car. Turns out I had forgotten my helmet and my gloves on the roof, and it had fallen off onto the parking lot blacktop. A friendly skateboarder picked it up, and brought it to me. She must have seen me driving through the lot with my helmet on top! In Thunder Bay a friendly Finn stopped me before I left the Kanga Sauna parking lot because my wallet was on the roof. It reminds me of the time in Macau that I forgot my passport in a hotel room, and the woman at the desk ran to the bus stop to give it back to me. I'm so forgetful it's frustrating sometimes!

Yesterday I ran up Rainbow Mountain. There's a lake up at the top, which is about 8K away from the parking lot. But since it's all up-hill, it's ambitious to get to the lake. I ran up for about 40 minutes, and covered about 4K. I turned around and ran back down for about 30 minutes.

If I want to gain the lake, I'll need to run pretty much straight up-hill for at least 80 minutes! If we get some nice days before it snows, I might be able to do it. I'll take a backpack with some food and water in it next time I attempt the summit.

If I do make it to the top, then to the lake, I'll try and make sure not to leave anything up there, since it will be quite the trip back to get it!

No comments: