Sunday, July 27, 2008

Surfing again?

I may live to surf another day. But I'm not sure.

I found a latex swimming cap at the store, and as Mom suggested, I might wear it in combination with my earplugs. This arrangement might seal my ears off enough to hit the water again!

But I have a bit of trepidation about getting back into the ocean. My ear is improving, and I can hear a tiny bit more out of it every day. I don't want to risk an infection, and I don't want to regret going out to sea with my earplugs and swimming hat, thinking my ears would stay dry enough.

I think I will try it out, and see how dry my ears can stay. I don't want to suffer through earaches, doctor appointments and surgery like Carol has, just because I couldn't stay out of the water.

Going to Lovina a few days ago was good respite from the surfing scene of Kuta. It was easier not being able to surf when every shop wasn't showing a surfing DVD, and there wasn't a board shop and ding repair garage every thirty feet.

Lovina is on the north coast of Bali, and takes between three and four hours to drive there. While we were there, the vibe there felt a bit like Sauble Beach might a few days after Labour Day Weekend, the unofficial end of summer in Ontario.

Most of the stores and restaurants were still open, and a few people were around, but the summer energy was missing. Storekeepers seemed desperate to make sales, and the bracelet and souvenir dealers on the beach hovered too close and too long, wishing to sell their goods to the remaining tourists.

Apparently Lovina has suffered from the Bali bombs of 2002 and 2005. There's been a 40% decrease in tourists (according to one of our drivers) in Bali, meaning less people make the three hour trek to Lovina.

The major attractions at Lovina are dolphin watching and diving. Whenever you step out on the beach, locals approach asking to take you dolphin watching or snorkeling in their boats. In Kuta, the beach sellers will ask you once to buy something, but then usually don't return if you don't purchase. At Lovina, the sellers (and their friends) would constantly return trying to sell their goods, even after numerous 'no thank-you' comments.

It must be a hard life, being a beach seller. I tried to understand that while I was there, but it was quite annoying not being able to step onto the sand without being canvassed.

Here are the local boats that offer to take you dolphin watching or snorkeling, or even fishing I guess, if you wanted to tag along. I wasn't interested in dolphin watching, so I never took the salesmen up on their offers.





I really enjoyed Lovina, despite the constant barrage of sales pitches. I would return again. When I do, I hope things have picked up for the Lovina area, so the sellers won't have to try so hard to make sales.

No comments: