Sunday, July 27, 2008

Kir's Mountain Bike Pics





Kir here!

Some of my most vivid memories of this trip are from my three mountain bike rides: the touristy downhill (the one where I got a little lost!); the epic Batur Crater Rim Ride; and then an off-road, REALLY quick redux of the touristy ride, downhill in basically the same Kitimani to Ubud area in central Bali.

Here are some photos from my rides, and some photos from the internet of the same terrain, for the parts when I didn't have my camera with me.

Kintamani is in the central mountains of Bali. It's the area where all three of my rides started. This shot was taken at the edge of the village of Kintamani at the start of the Batur Crater ride. You can see how misty it was at that elevation that day!



Here's a shot of the classic view from Kintamani down into the valley below. I saw this for the first time the day of the touristy ride:



Here's an action shot of me close to the end of the third ride, approaching the outskirts of Ubud. Those are rice fields beside me, and there's a river down the slope to my left.



Here are some internet pictures of the crazy Batur Crater ride. The first two show the bike track, and the third shows the view from the crater - sorry they're small!







After we descended from the crater rim, the transition section before the lava flow looked like this - cliff face views from below, with single and doubletrack skirting small farms:



This last one is me riding across the lava flow from the last explosion of Mount Batur volcano:



Amazing rides!

No comments: