Thursday, December 10, 2009

Skating on Lost Lake



I went skating again today, but not on my neighbourhood pond. I scouted all the local lakes, and found that Lost Lake was completely frozen. I got my skates on, and hit the ice!

Like my local pond, Lost Lake froze pretty well all at once, so it was as smooth as glass. Times like this don't come along very often, when it's cold with no wind and no snow. It created the most amazing skating conditions. Here are some pics.



I got on the lake before 10, and left about three hours later. For most of the time, I had the whole surface to myself. It was so much fun! When I was ready to leave, some people came and got a hockey game going. I was too tired to put in the social effort and join them, since I'd been out there for more than three hours. The middle of the lake was sort of snowy, from others skating and some frost I think.

In the corners and fringes of the lake though, it was very clear.



Look at the ice! It's so flat and clear. I stayed out as long as I could to take advantage of the amazing conditions. It's supposed to snow tomorrow, so the heady days of skating the lake end-to-end will likely be over. I needed to take advantage of the ice while I could!






It took awhile to get my skating legs back, and they're not fully used to skating yet. I feel pretty good out there, but since it's been 10 years since I've played hockey, there are still some dust bunnies and cobwebs that need to be cleared out.

It was such good fun, and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I'll try and get in on a hockey game later, if the ice stays around.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Unbelievable ice! Unbelievable skating! So clear, so beautiful! Loved the pics! I put one on our desktop.

Kir said...

You're having a great life Jon Boy!!