Friday, December 4, 2009

6!

Today, Carmella and I celebrated our six-monthiversary! It actually happend a few days ago, but we're both working lots so we celebrated today.

Carmella knows I enjoy root beer, and brought me the following, while at work:



Six different kinds of glorious nectar, one for every month we've been together! She also bought me the Miga key chain. Miga is a mascot for the coming olympics. I am always losing my keys, so installing a large lanyard has helped, but having Miga attached will probably solve the problem completely.



The big celebration event today was going zip lining. Lots of people in Whistler like to do it, and we decided to go. I was able to get a great rate since I work at the front desk, and we took advantage.



Basically, you have a harness and zip on five different zip lines placed in the forest between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. The lines are up to 600m long, and we would get up to about 80 km/h.

There are two guides, and up to ten guests on each tour. One guide helps you take off, while the other guide collects you at the end of the line. Our tour, which started in the morning, had 7 people on it.



Here, Carmella watches a member of our tour finish the freestyle line. We were encouraged to zip upside down. I went first, and thought I was doing a good job. Turned out I was just horizontal in the air, not inverted. No wonder it didn't feel too disorienting!



The zip lines criss-cross the Fitzsimmons river, and go between big trees. There is a lichen that forms on the branches, called Angel's Hair, which you can see in the picture. These lichens only grow where the air is pure, and they only grow about 1mm per year. So, the guides told us that some of the strands we were seeing were over 300 years old.



Here's another shot of the trees, which I enjoy.

I took some video during the day, and when I get some days off I'll concoct a video and post a link here. It'll give a better idea of what we were up to. Carmella had no issues with heights or the actual zipping, but I got nervous at times. The video will show that well, unless I decide to edit those parts out!

No comments: