Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pond Hockey

The pond outside my house has frozen. It's been really cold here, after a bit of a thaw. The pond froze all at once too, so it's like skating on glass. The kids in the neighbourhood kids play on it after school, and have little hockey games. Most kids are about 6 to 9 years old.

I bought some skates in Squamish yesterday, and also a puck and a stick. I was excited to hit the pond and get some touches on the puck!

Today is a day off for me, so I slept in, then laced up the skates, taped my stick, and took to the ice. I was nervous at first, since the ice was somewhat invisible. I peered closer, and was happy to see that it was about four or five inches thick. Beautiful ice!




It was really smooth! Since it hasn't snowed since it froze, there is no shoveling required. I brought a big rubbermaid container out on the ice, and used it as a net. I skated around the pond, and fired pucks into my makeshift net. I was out there for over an hour. Before I went in, I got a pitcher of hot water and repaired some divots in the ice.



It was great fun! I'm going to cruise around Whistler and see how the bigger lakes are doing. They're probably not frozen enough to skate on, but if they are it will be amazing. I hope they're as glassy and solid as my local pond!

No comments: