Sunday, May 24, 2009

Race!

So I entered the Whistler Valley Trail Run today. I wasn't going to do it, as I wasn't feeling race-ready.

Then yesterday I was at work, and decided I need to get out there and race, whether or not I'm in racing condition. Racing will help me get in shape and back in a racing mindset, and this race could be a small step toward the larger goal of running a successful marathon in October. There was a 10K course and a 5K course. I opted for the longer route.

I looked at the results from past years, and was happy to see the race wouldn't be too competitive. There were no staggeringly-fast times posted by elite runners, so I figured it would be a pretty low-key and friendly race. This atmosphere would be perfect for where my fitness and training is at the moment.

I ran the inaugural Whistler Valley Trail Run back in 2004, and it was a disaster. That race was a 5K. I got to the starting line, and looked about. There were few serious-looking runners there, so I figured I might have a shot at a high-placing finish.

About 500m into the race, I overtook the leader and began to lead the race. This was the first race I had been winning since the Field Day races in primary school. I was excited!

I was running well, but had trouble finding the proper route. There were no marshals, and very few markings on the trails. Since I was leading, I didn't have anyone to follow, and there were no rabbits on bikes to help out either.

I heard voices and cheering, sensing I was getting close to the finish line, and was still feeling extremely fast. I looked at my watch and was impressed with my blistering pace. I approached a fork in the trail, looking forward to breaking the tape for my first racing victory.

Turns out I took the wrong turn, and kept running into the woods when the rest of runners figured it out and exited the woods, running towards the line and finishing as they should have. Confused, I emerged from the forest quite a ways away, coming at the finish line from the back. I would get a DNF because of this mistake. I was very frustrated and irritated.

My pace was so fast because the race wasn't actually a 5K, but was measured very poorly and was actually something like 3K. I remember the race organizer telling everyone over the mic that she was sorry about the race problems, but it was all about the children, right? (The race was in support of some child's charity.) This comment was successful in frustrating and irritating me more. I was in a foul mood.

Because of the past blunders at this race, I was a bit nervous going into this 5th edition, but as I was running I saw there was caution tape everywhere, marshals at all junctions, and arrows along the route in chalk. I had no problem knowing where I was supposed to go.

The race was really fun because I was up near the front for almost all of it. My favourite moment was about 2K in. There were two fast guys way up front, and a pack of about five of us giving chase. I found myself leading this dense group of runners from a wide trail onto singletrack that led into the woods. I felt like I was in the Olympics or something, leading the chase pack against the leaders. I was feeling like a superstar and it was awesome.

In the end, I believe I got 4th. Results won't be up for a few days, so I'll post when it's official. I had a really good race, and was able to pick off runners throughout the course. There was a runner in a blue shirt in front of me, and I was able to stay in contact with him for the whole race, and then took him with about 2K left. I finished strong, and was happy with my performance.

My time was 42:03 for 10.24K, which isn't bad considering it was a trail run with a tonne of climbing and numerous hairpin corners. I'm happy with this time, as it tells me I'm right where I should be at this early stage in my training. I'll be able to break 40 mins soon enough, on a paved, fast course.

Now, I'm going to nap. I had a late night last night, and then put in this stellar performance early this morning. I deserve a good nap, even though it's sunny. I've accomplished a lot, and it's not even noon.