Monday, May 11, 2009

Last driving pictures

I took some pictures on what turned out to be my last drive. They've been sitting on my desktop for a few weeks now, so I figure I'll post them before I toss them in the trash.

My drive involved taking a Mexican family from Whistler to the South Terminal of YVR. The South Terminal is where private and chartered planes arrive and depart.

This family had a lot of stuff, and it wasn't packed very well. Most luggage I pack is put into a number of suitcases and other large bags. This family had grocery bags, backpacks, and lots of loose things.

I was able to fit it all in, just barely. I had to use the roof box for a number of the bags, and also had to cram luggage into the trunk by opening the glass door. Whenever I put stuff in through the glass, I always remember to open that same glass door first when it comes time to unload. I had to put an XBox game console (in a paper bag) and a metal briefcase into the trunk via the glass door.

I arrived at the South Terminal, and went in to speak with the people in charge. They said I should drive out to the tarmack and unload the truck right by the plane. All I had to do was drive up to the gate and they'd let me in.

When I was inside the building, some overzealous pilots thought it'd be great to help the family unload their luggage. Since I wasn't aware of who they were or their intentions, I didn't bother to tell them to open the glass first.

When I came back out, they were busy apologizing for letting the metal briefcase and the XBox fall four feet onto the pavement. The XBox was likely pretty ruined, and the briefcase would have made quite a racket.

I didn't feel responsible for their mistake, and figured the family could buy whatever they needed to replace anything that broke. They were flying home in two private jets after all.

I enjoyed driving out onto the runway and helping unload the truck. I had to maneuver the truck up to the plane's door without smashing it into the wing, which was neat.






The South Terminal is also close to the Sea Plane docks, and I had to pass this sign which I felt was fun. It's a Plane Crossing sign! It happens because every day the planes must be towed from the water, across the street, into their hangars. The first time I drove by the sign, I wasn't sure what it meant, but then I understood.

So, that was my last drive. I'm glad I got to drive out onto the runway, and also glad I wasn't responsible for ruining the family's XBox and the contents of the metal briefcase.

No comments: