Thursday, March 13, 2008

Running in Helmets?!

I found a race to run in Hong Kong this weekend!

I'm pretty pumped about it, although I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to run it. I'm concerned about same-day registration, as the website didn't specifiy anything about it. I won't get my hopes up too high in case I can't run. I've emailed the race organizer about signing up on race day, and I hope I get a reply soon.

It's a cross-country type race, and about 12K long. It involves fording a small creek, and scrambling down steep rocks with the aid of ropes. Because it's semi-dangerous, all competitors must run in a helmet! When I first saw the website I was really confused why everyone was running in biking gear, but then saw the helmet rules. It's either going to be the most intense run I've ever completed, or it's going to be the run that makes me feel silliest at the finish line, since I'll be wearing a bike helmet!

Here are some pics I gleaned off the event web site. They're not the best, and they're a bit blown out but I don't know how to fix that. They give an idea of what the race will be like though.





Carol may come with me, and if that's the case she can take pictures and I'll have some real ones to post.

It's a five-race series, and the first one has already been run. They're all cross-country races, and runners who participate in three or more qualify for series points. Since my weekends are pretty much open, I'm thinking of doing as many races as I can. They're pretty frequent, with one race happening every two weeks. It would be sort of expensive going to Hong Kong twice a month, but totally worth it if the races are good.

I feel I'm in racing shape too, so this race could tell me if I'm right or wrong about that. I've been running a lot lately, and am feeling good. I haven't been running more than fifty minutes at a time though, so this race could challenge my endurance as it's expected to take between 1.5 and 3 hours. The winner last year ran finished in 1 hour 20 minutes.

It turns out Hong Kong has a good running community. I gather that most people run around mountains, because that's the only place where buildings haven't been built yet. I've seen the map of this course, and it takes place in a "Country Park" and has some hills in it. I'm up for anything, since half my workouts have been hill repeats.

Hopefully I get to run this race. There are some pretty heavy sponsors lined up, including Volvo, so I expect it to be pretty good. If same-day registration is an option, I'm good to go!

No comments: