Sunday, March 23, 2008

Edgy on Easter.

I'm not dealing with China well today.

Carol and I went to Church this morning, and got there early anticipating the Easter overflow. The church we go to is for Foreigners only, and you must show you passport or ID to get in. This is because the Chinese government doesn't want local citizens exposed or interested in organized religion. Of course the issue is much deeper and more complicated than that, but the end result is that in order for there to be a government sanctioned church service, no local citizens are allowed to participate.

Every week this fact is relayed from the lectern, and the announcer always expresses his (women rarely appear at the front) condolences for the way things have to be, and always reminds us to bring our passports or IDs, or photocopies of them, to church with us. I always forget, but don't put much effort into remembering either, since in my opinion I don't look too Chinese so there shouldn't be too much confusion as to my citizenship.

This week, a big, friendly, African greeter welcomed me at the door, and asked where I was from. In the spirit of Easter and good conversation, I mentioned Canada. He suddenly changed gears from friendly greeter to stern bouncer, and asked if I had any proof that I was indeed from Canada. I looked in my bag and thought about it, and realized I had nothing with me but some Chinese currency and book borrowed from the Church library that I meant to return. And an umbrella with one broken rib.

I said I didn't have ID, and the bouncer said that they were doing a special check today and he needed proof of my citizenship. Again, he asked if I could I prove I was Canadian. I pointed to my face and said "Umm...I'm white?" Some people handing out bulletins behind the bouncer laughed at my comment (or at me, I don't know). I figured I didn't want to fight to get into church. I know I didn't bring my ID, so I understood why I wasn't to be let in. I turned on my heel and walked away, planning to go home, or maybe to the bookstore. As I was thinking about what to do with my newly free Easter morning, I remembered I had a book I needed to return, so I went back to the door and asked the bouncer if he'd return it for me since I couldn't go in.

At this he hugged me and said he didn't mean to embarrass me, and let me in. (Why is there so much hugging at church?) I returned my book, and sat down under a cloud of frustration. I had a long time to be frustrated too, since the preacher decided he needed to preach the whole gospel in one shot, which took more than an hour.

I understand the rules, and am not complaining about them. I guess I was frustrated that I was given a hard time because I couldn't prove that I wasn't a Chinese Mainland local. While there may be some Chinese Mainland citizens out there who exhibit no Asian facial features and can't speak a spot of Mandarin or Cantonese, I haven't met one. Perhaps the bouncer thought I was the first. Maybe I looked like an exceptionally surly character today or something. Or maybe he was just making sure that I will bring my passport next time. If that's the case, his methods worked as I don't want to be hassled again. Next time I'll even bring a copy for him to take home and hang on his fridge.

When I got home I took a classic Sunday nap, then went out for a long run. When I was just about finished, I was hassled again, but this time by an ugly little Pekingese Terrier with Small Dog Syndrome. He was barking, snarling, and nipping at my heals, and the small Chinese girl at the end of the leash couldn't control it. Before I knew it I was in the middle of the path pointing down and yelling loudly at the dog that I was going to beat it down and kick it in the face if he didn't stop. Afterwards I ran off with a chorus of "Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!" coming from the dog's handler.

I'm definitely not dealing well with life's little inconveniences today.

1 comment:

Jazzy said...

Even though you may have had a bad day, your blog was quite humourous. You write well! I find the concept of a bouncer at church so odd. Haha, I can't believed they hassled you about not being canadian!