Friday, March 14, 2008

Game On!!

I'm registered for the race tomorrow! I've also secured a room at the trusty Cosmic Guest House, but might have to deal with small Asian-sized beds this time since the bigger beds were all booked. It's OK though, since it'll be cheaper.

Yesterday I went out and bought a helmet. I knew exactly where to go to buy it too, since I'd been in the store a few times before. The store is a shoe store that you can't see from the street, and you pretty much have to go through another store to get to it. The first time I was there, I saw a box of shoes addressed to an Aldo store in Burlington, but was ripped open showing the packed shoes. So that was neat...definitely a case of some product that "fell off the truck." This store also had some bike helmets for some reason, and I remembered.

Here's my helmet! It cost me 50RMB, about $7.50CAD. It's pretty light, and pretty cheap. I wanted to buy a nice helmet since I like to have nice bike stuff, but I figured if I buy a cheap one, I won't have a problem leaving it here. Plus, adult-sized bike helmets are hard to find here since nobody wears them. So I took what I could get.

I didn't like how the helmet looked out of the box (actually, off a nail in the wall...it didn't come in a box and was all dusty) so I dug into my teaching supplies and decorated it with holographic stickers! I figure that if I'm running in a helmet and feeling like a dork, I might as well go the whole way and look like one too. You can't see the robots since they're on the side. Notice the pineapple in the middle. For speed.





I'm pumped! Carol is coming too, so I might be able to post some shots of the helmet in action, once the race is over.

I checked out some pictures of the terrain I'll be running in, and it looks pretty awesome. Trees, trails, mountains, water...I'm really excited. Come back for a full recap once the weekend is over!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

You forgot to post the one of you wearing it! Bwahaha.