Saturday, March 8, 2008

Flags

Here are some thoughts on various countries' flags. I have a place-mat that I got at the teaching supply store in London that features 150 flags. I look at and study my place mat every day while I eat, so that has got me thinking about flags again.

Today, I'll post some of my favourite flags and will write a few comments about them. My aim is to make more flag posts in the future, but if I don't end up doing that, this is still a post that stands well on its own.


^^^This is Nepal. When the rest of the world is thinking right angles and rectangles, Nepal defies convention and gives us two oddly sized triangles. I like it mostly because of the shape. When confronted by a page full of flags like that of my place mat, Nepal's flag is the first to draw my attention.


^^^Bhutan. This is a small country in the Himalayas that shares borders with China to the north and India to the south. While many countries elect to feature soulless geometric shapes or bands of colour, Bhutan opts to feature its national symbol, the complicated Thunder Dragon. I imagine young Bhutanese children groan whenever they're required to reproduce the flag in school!



^^^Lebanon. I love the green cedar tree in the middle. In the days of wooden ships, the tall and straight Lebanese cedars were a most coveted material, prized for their use in sail masts. I like how they've featured it on their flag.



^^^Kenya. This flag depicts a Masai shield and two spears. I like how they have symbolized their cultural heritage this way. Unfortunately, Kenyans may be on the verge of fighting a civil war, so the flag may soon become too literal a representation of the country.



^^^Brazil. I love this flag for its colours. It uses geometric shapes well, and I like the sphere in the middle. An added bonus is that the Brazilian flag can easily be mowed into a soccer pitch!



^^^Canada. I like our flag. It's easily recognizable, and has a touch of originality because of the leaf. Drawing a good Canadian flag is a challenge, and one is rewarded with a feeling of great accomplishment when it turns out well.

Time for bed. Hopefully I'll do another flag post tomorrow.

This is the site I used for all my flag pictures. They have a handy index that makes finding flags easy.

No comments: