Monday, February 15, 2010

Fun Day: Feb 14!

It was a really enjoyable Valentines Day for Carmella and I. Here's what we did.



I worked until 3, and Carmella left a bit early to catch a free concert in the Village. It was Matisyahu, a practicing Jewish reggae/rap artist. Carmella's had his music for quite some time. He raps and sings about Jewish things, world peace, and Jerusalem.

The fans were into it, and the atmosphere was great. There were toddlers and girlfriends on shoulders, and Israeli flags in the crowd. It was a good time.



Carmella and I then went to Swiss House, a restaurant that has been taken over by the Swiss for the Olympics. You can get food inside in the restaurant part, or take-out outside and sit on their patio, next to their TV broadcast pod. Carmella bought us Raclette, which is melted cheese over bread and potatoes, with some pickles beside. It was really tasty!

We were happy that Swiss House is open to the public. Most of the other houses in Whistler, like Austria House, Canada House, and France House, are only open to the athletes and dignitaries of that country. Those houses seem elitist, and I'm not a fan. Swiss House is open to all though, which is great.



Carmella and I then went into the Roots store, as I bought her a great hoodie for Valentines Day. The mogul final was on, and the store filled up with people coming in off the street to watch it. It was a very unique atmosphere, and I'm happy to have seen it where I did. Great fun!

There was another concert on in the village at the time, so the big screens were showing them. As a result, Carmella and I were some of the first people in Whisler Village to know that Canada had won a gold in the Moguls.

I was quite impressed with Alexandre Bilodeau's handling of his win. He thanked the crowd, and was very humble in victory. I think we as Canadians like our athletes to be humble and proud at the same time, and Bilodeau was a great example of a class act.



Here's the hoodie! Valentines Day was a great excuse to buy this for Carmella. It's great because it's a classy hoodie that won't expire when the Olympics leave town. I think Carmella looks like quite the Finn in it!

No comments: