Thursday, February 11, 2010

Driving again!

I'm sitting in "The Weeds", the taxi and limo holding area at YVR. This lot got the gardening moniker because it used to be really far from the airport action. Over the years it's been absorbed and is right in the thick of YVR.

It's here in The Weeds that I check in with airport dispatch, telling them my name, company, and vehicle number. In about an hour, I'll be picking up my first drive of the February 2010 season.

I've decided to drive again while the Five Ring Circus is in town, so I can shore up my bank account and shake up my Games experience. I'm still working at the hotel full-time, but felt that a change in scenery will be positive.

I'm driving up and down to Whistler twice today, so it'll be a full day. Traffic has been OK though, so that's a relief. I may run into the Torch Relay tonight, which is famous for gumming up the transportation works wherever it goes. The relay will culminate in rainy downtown Vancouver tomorrow night.

Getting back into the driving scene has been easy, as I already had my uniform, business cards, and driving skill from last year.

I'm happy with my decision to drive again, for a number of reasons. One reason is that it will provide me with an inside view of the Games (if I use the O word, the IOC might slap me down! They've imposed rules on bloggers, and I don't want to let the whole team at jvd.evenflow down by getting kicked off the interwebs!), which will be different and less layered if I was only driving the desk in Whistler, answering panicked calls about parking passes and venue directions.

I hope to post a lot in the next couple weeks, giving The Faithful a unique look at what it's like to live and work in a town where The O Show is being filmed.

Set your bookmarks here, and check back often!

No comments: