Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It's hot here, and everyone's grumpy.

We're in the middle of a heat wave here in Whistler. It's been over 30C for the past week, and will continue to be that hot for the next week. Vancouver has been posting record temperatures, and we're feeling the same system up here in Whistler. You can read about Vancouver breaking records here.

I don't mind the heat so much, as my room is fairly cool and I can always go to the lake and cool off.

What I do mind though, is working the evening shift at a hotel built in the 70s or 80s that was geared towards winter use, so has no pool, no elevators, and NO AIR CONDITIONING!

Everyone's grumpy because of the heat to begin with, and when they show up and realize they've reserved themselves a property with no AC, they get all aggro at whomever they see first, which is me. Time to don my flame-retardant suit and deflect the negativity!

So it's 32C right now, and I'm working the evening shift meaning that I get to break the news to all the guests. Fantastic!

Good news though, there was just cloudburst rainstorm out of nowhere! Now it feels about ten degrees cooler. Phew. We'll see how this evening goes.

No comments: