Friday, July 17, 2009

Dinghy

A few months ago, I bought a dinghy at Canadian Tire in Squamish. I got it because I've been spending a lot of time at Whistler's various lakes, and having a dinghy would increase the good times.

It got used for the first time last week, on a sunny day at Alta Lake. Carmella had the boat and blew it up with a hand pump before I got there. There were about five of us at the lake. I showed up after everyone else, because I was biking for the first part of the afternoon.

By the time I got there, everyone had used the dinghy either on their own or in pairs. I was happy it was getting used. After about 30 minutes, everyone had someplace to go, but I didn't, so Carmella and I stayed.

When it was time to go, we had to decide how to get home. Carmella's house was on the other side of the lake from where we were, so we decided to sail there! We had to fit ourselves and all the afternoon's detritus into the boat, and were able to do it. We then piloted our garbage scow across the lake. The wind was with us, so we just floated.

Here are some pictures of the dinghy expedition, plying the waters of Whistler's most popular lake.



We get the boat loaded up.



There's no room for my bike helmet in the boat, so I opted to wear it. I had locked my bike up on shore for later retrieval.



Carmella eyes the shore, looking for an appropriate docking spot. We reached land at a private beach, for use by a condo development only. We used it anyway, and dumped our garbage in their garbage shed. Then it was a short walk back to Carmella's house.

Good times with the dinghy! Carmella is making sure it sees further use this weekend, as she's in the Okanagan where there's a river that sees a lot of dinghy traffic.

1 comment:

Kir said...

Dingy! Sauble memories! Good times as kids - remember Dad used to make Carolyn a little house out of the dinghies so she wouldn't get sunburned?