Saturday, November 15, 2008

Maslow's Hierarchy of (Whistler) Needs


Back in 1996 when I was in Grade 10, I learned about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. A psychologist named Abraham Maslow came up with a list that identifies the basic human's needs. His list starts with basic needs like food and shelter, and then lists what he feels is required for someone to reach his ultimate goal of Self Actualisation.

Maslow's list has numerous levels. Once a category is achieved, the person can feel confident about moving on to the next level. A person's needs are listed in ascending order, starting at the most basic.

I think Maslow had some things right, and his model can be related to life in Whistler.

For people newly arriving in Whistler, the most basic need is a place to stay; the second need is a ski pass; the next need is a way to make money. In my opinion, Whistler has an ultimate goal, like Maslow's Self Actualization. I don't know what that goal is yet, but for most people it definitely requires a ski pass!

So, here I am thinking about what I'll do about a ski pass. I have a few options.

Most businesses in Whistler are a member of the Chambre of Commerce. Employees of these businesses are eligible for a Spirt Pass, which is a full pass offered at a discounted rate. The rate this year is about $1200. This is the same price as a Midweek Pass than anyone can buy, while the regular price of a full pass is $1879. A single day lift-ticket is $89.

My prospective employer is based in Vancouver, so is not part of the Whistler Chambre of Commerce. Even if it was, I'm not in a position to fork over $1200 for a ski pass. There are ways to get on that Spirit Pass list of course, so a dedicated rider could easily find himself with one if he knew people. He'd still have to pay the $1200 though.

There are options for people who want to ride but don't want a pass, like a collection of five tickets for $350ish, with discounted rates once you use those five days. Obviously there are downsides to this. The main one is only riding five days a year, while living in the land of plenty.

So, I'm considering forgoing a pass this year. It sounds like a bad idea, but the hurdles in front of me seem too high, especially the $1200 one. I am open to the idea of moving down to Vancouver if a job opportunity arises there, so maybe a pass would be a waste of money if I ended leaving town.

I am considering working as much as I can this winter, and going to the gym and running while everyone else is snowboarding. I have some lofty running goals I'd like to hit in the next few years, and a regimented gym schedule would help me accomplish them.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of volume I'll have in the working department, since the economy is unstable. In a weak economy, ski vacations are likely one of the first things to be sacrificed. If people stay away from Whistler, their dollars will stay away from me.

If there's a lot of work, then there will be lots of money to be made and no time to ride. If there is not too much work, then there will be lots of time to ride but fewer dollars to spend on it.

Jon's Whistler Experience version 2.0 is different than the original. I'm not as focused on winter riding, and more focused on addressing different financial responsibilities I have.

Many of my friends are not buying passes this year. Some are planning on working so much that a pass doesn't make sense; some are planning on accessing terrain on their snowmobiles; and others are buying the packs of five tickets. So, if I don't buy a pass, I won't be the only one not on the mountain.

So, Maslow. Is a ski pass really necessary for Self Actualisation in Whistler? We'll see!

1 comment:

Kaaren said...

Very interesting way of making a decision. I am not a snowboarder or rather don't make plans to enjoy the white stuff that is generally abundant where I live in Alaska. I was looking up Maslow's Hierarchy and found many a blog on the topic. Thank You for posting this it was a bright spot in my night.