Sunday, June 29, 2008

Filling my Evenings

Filling my evenings has been a challenge since Carol left. While I used to go over to her room and do nothing, I now find I have to do nothing in my own room. I could leave, but that requires spending time on really crowded public transit, so I find myself shying away from that option.

To help me pass the time, I've turned to books. I've read more this year than any other year, ever. I churned through four books in June, generally starting one on Monday and finishing it by Friday. I don't think I've ever equaled that pace! I guess it shows how much reading you can get done when there's little else in your schedule.



Here's a selection of the books I've read this year. I've returned others, and brought some home when I left China for Lunar New Year. In this pile, I read all but three of them this semester.

Some comments about various books:

King Rat and Tai-Pan by James Clavell

I loved Tai-Pan. It's all about Hong Kong's history, and now when I go, I understand the territory a lot better. Fantastic book.

King Rat was also an excellent read. James Clavell's books are centred in Asia, and feature many foreigners living here and getting used to the way things are. For that reason, I find common ground with some of the characters and storylines.

The Watchman and The Two Minute Rule by Robert Crais

I bought The Watchman in the Toronto Airport as I waited for my flight to China. I had the book finished before I landed in Beijing. I've never read a book in one go like that! It was full of car chases, gun fights, and spying.

I had big hopes for The Two Minute Rule. It even had a positive comment from the Globe and Mail. Unfortunately, it was boring and pretty stupid. Don't read it.

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

I just finished this book yesterday. Carol had left it with me when she flew off to Canada. This is not the type of book I'd normally buy or read, but since I've finished most other books on my shelf, I gave it a go.

It was really frustrating...nothing really happened for the first three quarters of the book. It was all about the relationships the characters had with their estranged husbands, their deadbeat dads, their elderly crushes, their lifelong buisness partners. I grew really frustrated.

At the end of the book the author wrote a big twist into the plot. I never saw it coming and I had to respect her. I even grew emotional as I read the last few pages. Wussy!

Hornet Flight by Ken Follett

This is an action/adventure book based in Denmark at the onset of WWII. It was great and made me want to move to Denmark and learn Danish. The characters even went to Bornholm for awhile. Mormor didn't appear in the storyline unfortunately!

Next by Michael Crichton

Booooring. It's about the ethics and problems around cloning, patenting genes, and gene therapy. There were so many sub-plots I couldn't keep them straight, and they never seemed to intertwine. Then, they all magically got figured out in the last twenty pages. I don't know how this became a best seller. Avoid it if possible.

I have only one more week in China, and I have a few thin books left on my shelf. I won't have to buy anymore before I leave.

I like having the books I've read on my shelf, so I'm wondering if it's worth it taking my favourites home with me. If you keep a book on your shelf, you can remember parts of the book just by looking at the spine. If you read a book and never see it again, it's easier to forget you ever read it.

If I can spare the weight, I think I'll bring a few of these books home to Canada with me. We'll see if I can make it happen.

On the topic of books, here is the bookshelf in my classroom.



Notice Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever. This was a staple of mine growing up, and I brought it to China. The kids love it, since it's big and has great pictures. I must remember to take it home with me!

I've gone around the school and stolen all the good English books, since I bet nobody else even cares what books they have in their classroom. Some notable titles that I pilfered are My First BIG BOOK of Words, Richard Scarry's Bedtime Stories, two Curious George titles, and Where the Wild Things Are.

I also have the Stratford book that Carol brought along to China. For some reason the kids like this book too, especially identifying the various Canadian flags in it.

Good ol' books.

No comments: