Saturday, June 21, 2008

Another Hong Kong trip



Oh Hong Kong, how I love you.

I went today to take care of finances, and also solidify some plans for when Kir arrives in a couple weeks. I looked into luggage storage, and also made a hostel reservation for us.

I found out while cruising the money changers that if I go to the right stall when exchanging money, I can receive up to fifty dollars more than if I go to the wrong one, because of their rates. It pays to research. I did the math in my head wrong, and wasted twenty five dollars by going to the wrong changer.

Today was the first full day that it hasn't rained, since the second week of May. I saw blue sky all day today, so that was a welcome change. It was more than thirty degrees outside today, and the HK government had issued a "Very Hot!" warning.

It was good to go to Hong Kong today, since going anywhere when it's raining buckets is depressing, annoying, and tends to dampen(!) my spirits. I'm more used to the heat now, so I wasn't as bothered by today's temperature as I might have been a year ago.

After passing through customs, I took the MTR (subway/metro) two stops into the New Territories, which is the northern-most part of Hong Kong. The New Territories bump up against the Chinese border. I walked around, and enjoyed seeing bike lanes and football pitches, people lining up for buses, and cars obeying traffic signs.

It's much different from Mainland China, where cars drive and park on the sidewalk, speed into oncoming traffic, and people push and shove to get on the bus. I like Hong Kong so much because everything's more familiar, although after almost a year in China, the Mainland has become pretty familiar now too.

I had planned to go out for pizza with Dr. Rong when I got back from Hong Kong, but I just didn't want to put in the effort to rush through my errands. I wanted to relax and enjoy being in Hong Kong, and not be constantly checking my watch to see if I'd make it back to Guangzhou on time. It takes about three hours to go from my house to Hong Kong, and today it seemed like a waste to hurry back.

Also, having dinner with Rong is a lot of work. She knows a tad more English than I know Chinese, so in the course of a meal, we might cover only two conversational topics. Each sentence requires us to break out our respective Chinese/English dictionaries and search for words, and then try and explain what we're saying. Today, I wasn't up for the social effort, so I cancelled. I'm happy I did.

Here are some pictures from today. Remember, click the picture to make it bigger.



This is the China/Hong Kong border. Notice the barbed wire and razor wire. Many Mainland Chinese attempt to enter Hong Kong where wages are higher and things are more prosperous. The picture is taken from an indoor bridge that is between the Exiting China passport checkpoint, and the Entering Hong Kong checkpoint.



This is in a back stairwell in the Chung King Mansions, an old building with lots of hostel rooms, garment factories, curry houses, and appartments in it. Carol and I stayed here once, so I came back to take this picture. If you happen to be a telephone repair man in Hong Kong and get called to the Chung King mansions, don't go. This is what you'll have to deal with!





I went to the waterfront and hung out there for a portion of the afternoon. It was super hot at around 34C, so the breeze was nice. There were lots and lots of tourists about, so I fit right in! We were all enjoying the first sunny day in more than a month.



Everyone is taking pictures of Hong Kong Island. Hong Kong is the undisputed World Skyline champion. This website has become an authority on the world's top skylines. It mentions that HK has forty-three buildings over 200 meters tall, including four of the seventeen tallest buildings in the world. (Guangzhou cracks the top twenty.)



When cruising the Hong Kong waterfront, it's important to keep your child on a leash. OK, maybe it's not. I could understand leashing your kid if you had all access trackside tickets to NASCAR, but here?



My fellow tourists rest after a long day in the sun.




I returned to the MTR, and made my way back to China. I took this picture to demonstrate the "suicide doors" in place at the subway station. These doors open and close when a train arrives, and the train always lines up in the right spot. Toronto should consider installing these. I seem to remember people always commenting on the number of people jumping/falling/getting pushed onto the tracks.

Now, to comment on the picture at the beginning of the post. I wanted a picture of me and the skyline, but was too nervous to ask at first. Then, I spotted someone with a serious looking camera, and asked him to take it. I think he did a good job.

I'm wearing my new Holland football jersey! I didn't intend to keep it for myself, but now I think I will. It's a copy I bought in Guangzhou, and it's not branded, allowing me to wear a Dutch jersey without sporting the Nike Swoosh. It's also made of really light, airy fabric that kept me cool all day in the heat.

This jersey design is new this year, the first time the national team has worn blue. Apparently this light blue is loosely connected to the Dutch royal family. I like it because the jersey gives you an option to support your team without wearing a screaming orange jersey. The orange design is still their Home jersey, while this blue one is the lesser used Away design.

I wore the jersey to show support for the Holland-Russia game tonight. I saw one person wearing the same jersey today, and we shared a connection. As we walked by eachother in the subway station, I gave him a smile and a nod, while he tapped his chest over the Dutch insignia. Hup Holland!

My hair is nearing Rambo length. It's always nice to make the transition from Aunt Jemima. I'm due for a haircut, but I find that wearing a bandana allows me to avoid Chinese hair salons for just a little bit longer.

Now, I must nap for a couple hours before the football game starts. I have decided not to go downtown to watch it, since it's just too much effort at 3 in the morning. I'll watch it in my room, and turn the Cantonese announcers off.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Yay I'm glad you got a picture of all the crazy wiring...remember I was going to, but forgot? Phew!