Monday, May 12, 2008

Earthquake in China

There was an earthquake here in the Middle Kingdom today. You can read about it here.

The article says the quake was felt as far as Thailand and Vietnam.

The earthquake, felt as far away as Pakistan, Thailand and Vietnam, struck about 100 kilometres northwest of the Sichuan provincial capital of Chengdu at 2:28 p.m. local time, the U.S. Geological Survey said on its website.

Chengdu, close to the epicentre, is north of where I am in Guangzhou. Thailand and Vietnam are south of where I live. It would make sense that I'd have some first-hand earthquake stories for you, but I don't.

I've always wanted to (safely) experience what an earthquake is like. People say when the earth moves, the very foundation of your earthly experience gets shaken up, and it's quite the mental puzzle. What an interesting experience!

There are many people dead and many injured though, and probably thousands of lives have been changed. I don't mean to be glib in this post...I understand the destruction that earthquakes bring, especially to people who have little way of rebuilding their lives. I hope the hardworking Chinese spirit will help them rebuild.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I entirely understand what you mean John. Although I would never wish for a powerful earthquake to happen anywhere at any time, I think my respect and awe for nature would be appreciably increased. Same goes for seeing a tornado or really high ocean waves. It would be like seeing mountains or the ocean for the first time multiplied by 1000.

BTW, if there is a kyaking/canoe trip this summer then our on the water talk should be in Chinese!
"xiongyou! xiongyou!"

billy