Saturday, October 20, 2012

Shiffy's alternator, and other excitement

Last week, Carmella and I took Shiffy (our green car) to Richmond, to go to the public pool there that has a wave pool, water slides and a number of hot tubs.  We were going to meet three friends there for Friday night good times.

When we arrived at the pool, it was closed for yearly maintenance!  What a disappointment.  We decided to head back to Vancouver and go to a community centre that we liked just as well.

On the way there, the Alternator light went on in the car.  It looks like a battery, but it really means the alternator isn't behaving as it should.  We were lucky Wes was there, as he had some insight into what should be done.

We got Shiffy home, and the next day I went to Wes' garage (he rents a garage in an apartment complex, where's he's rebuilding his 50s Ford truck) and he took voltage readings to confirm that the alternator was misbehaving.  It was.

When you start your car, the battery does the work.  After it's started, the alternator takes over, providing power for your car's electrical system.  Radio, windshield wipers, fans and headlights are powered by the alternator.  If the alternator goes, you car will shut down wherever it is on the road.

So, I then went to Lordco auto parts to get a new alternator.  I didn't make it though.  It was raining really hard, and my windshield was foggy.  My radio started to die, and my wipers were sluggish.  I turned off my fan to save power, and opened my windows to keep my windshield clear.

Soon though, the wipers were barely making it across the glass, and I knew the car could die soon.  So, I decided to head for home.  After about fifteen tense minutes, I got the car home, and took public transit to the parts store instead.

I bought a new alternator, which wasn't as expensive as it should have been, because Wes has an auto parts account and let me use it.  He saved me $120!

YouTube is great, because there are many instructional videos dedicated to car repairs.  I was happy to find there was one that would be useful, below.  See that white, round ventilated part in the centre?  That's the alternator.


I took the alternator home on the bus (they're heavy, but only the size of a large baseball) along with some tools I'd need.  Armed with the YouTube version of the procedure on my tablet, my tool box, and head lamp, I got to work.  We have street parking in front of the house, so I did it as cars drove by about five feet way.  But I was proud to be a guy fixing his car.  So manly.  So independent!

I didn't get very far though, because I had trouble de-tensioning the serpentine belt that's connected to the alternator.  I called Wes, and he came over to show me how to do it.  After that, we were off!  We got it installed, and when I turned over the engine, it started with no problems.

I closed the hood, and went out for a test drive.  I made it about two blocks before everything shut down again, but this time very quickly.  I had to try and make it home again!

This time, the car died just as I was pulling into our spot in front of the house.  What was wrong?  I thought we had fixed it.

I was all set to bring the alternator back and exchange it for a new one.  Since the car is a 1998, the available alternators are re-manufactured, not brand new.  So, they sometimes don't work as they should.

As I was taking the alternator out of the vehicle, I noticed one of the electircal connections was severed.  So, maybe I didn't need a new alternator after all.  It probably broke when I shut the hood, since I hadn't tucked the wires down very well.  They were sticking up, and would have been compressed when the hood locked into place, breaking a connector.

I took the bus to Canadian Tire and got the small $2 part I needed, and then installed it.  With a turn of the key and a confident, throaty roar, Shiffy was back in action!

It took me the whole weekend, but I am proud that I fixed my alternator.  It would have cost much more to bring it somewhere and have them do it, and I was able to learn about our vehicle more.

I now know how to fix the EGR valve, which is a yearly problem. (I take it out, remove the carbon chunks from it, degrease it, and re-install) and now also the alternator.  Every time Shiffy breaks down, I get very stressed, but then through the repair process, I learn more about the vehicle and how to fix it.  It's great not being dependent on mechanics!  I guess Wes is a mechanic, and I was dependent on him. But it's different because he's not out for a profit.

So, Shiffy is back on the road, confidently transporting us around town.  I like being involved in keeping the car on the road, and it gives me confidence for the next repair.  My tool collection is growing (I mostly have sockets, wrenches, and many many bike tools) and so is my capability behind the raised hood.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work J - you're a good bike mechanic, so I'm not surprised. Way to go! Love Kir