Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What I do at work.

Here's an example of what I do in my afternoon job.  I've begun to see it like a challenge, collecting arrears payments from people.  Here's an email I wrote yesterday, that ended well for us as the client will be bringing in her cheques tomorrow.

Hi X,

I looked into you file, and I have some unfortunate news, but maybe some you were expecting about your EPP payments.

You received your pass on January 1st, 2010.  Your payments were good until May, 2010, when we only were able to deduct $35.25.  You gave us cheques for May’s balance of $35.25, and also $70.50 for June’s payments.  Unfortunately, we didn’t get cheques for the remainder of the year.  July, August, Sept, Oct and Nov payments are missing.

Your arrears account is now sitting at $352, as we paid for you pass during that time.  If you’d like to continue in the program for 2011, we’d need a years worth of post-dated cheques that we’d cash one month at a time. 

We’d also need to recoup the missing payments, and we could arrange a payment plan with you if you’d like.  An example of one such plan would be paying an extra amount on each of your 2011 cheques (and 1 Dec 2010 cheque) that would slowly but surely chip away at your amount owing.

Tomorrow, December 1st is the last day that I can terminate EPP members for the start of January 2011, meaning that your pass would be good until Dec 31st, but not for Jan 1st, 2011.  If you choose to terminate, we’d only have to work together on your arrears payments and not the 2011 pass payments.  Please let me know by tomorrow if you want to be in the program for 2011 or not, and how you’d like to proceed.

So, this is what I do.  I like it because I get to interact with people from all over campus, and there's a challenging aspect to the work.  Not all I do is about collecting money, but it's a major part.  I enjoyed this interchange because it ended well (if she does actually come and bring in her cheques!)
  

No comments: