Friday, April 24, 2009

Overtime!

I am fairly excited right now. Not the same kind of excitement that I'll feel when the Canucks hoist the Stanley Cup later this spring, but a more muted kind. I'm happy because I'm on pace to collect some major overtime hours.

I'm back working at the hotel, and am enjoying it. My regular shift was an evening shift, 3pm to 11pm. While working, the night guy called in sick and nobody else was interested in taking it. I said I'd be happy to, even though it would mean working 16 hours in a row. Unlike the driving job, I'll get paid proper overtime for working more than 8 hours.

(edit: The person scheduled to come in at 7am just called in sick, meaning I must stay around until they sort that out. I must make sure I'm not being taken advantage of. I think 16 hours in a row is enough. I think I'll just head home. Maybe I won't though, maybe I'll open up the other property and then leave. Who knows. I've done my bit I'd say.)

I'm very happy with the change of scenery that the hotel work is bringing, and the scheduled and predictable hours. My roommate is still driving, and says hours have all but dried up. To get some work, he's driving down to the city and staying over.
There is not much work coming from Whistler, so he must work in the city. So, even though the driving dispatchers were a bit annoyed that I was cutting the engine on the driving job, it turns out it was a great decision made at the right time.

I am enjoying having a big selection of people to chat with from behind my front desk. I talk to guests, fellow employees, and other random people that come by the desk.
It's quite a nice change from driving, where I was often driving alone or with very quiet guests. While I enjoyed driving, it's nice to mix it up.

The computer here at the desk is being silly, so I am writing this post with my thumbs on my BB. Formatting may be a bit off because of that, but I'll fix it when I'm back on my own machine.

OK, I'm on my own machine now, quite a few hours after I wrote this post originally. I'm definitely less excited about the hours now that I've been here for quite awhile.

Yawn.

No comments: