Thursday, February 12, 2009

Olympic Torch Unveiling



Today, the Olympic torch was unveiled in the Village, as part of the One Year Countdown ceremonies.

I had an interesting drive this morning, taking three people from a hotel to the village, about a three minute drive. I had to do it because the hotel's regular shuttle is down in The City getting fixed.

The people I drove were involved in the torch unveiling, and I heard them chatting about the speech they would be delivering.

I drove into the village later, because I had my truck still and wanted to see what was going on. It turned into a much bigger deal than I expected.



There were media outlets setting up broadcast centres and preparing to do live feeds,



freelancers setting up and jostling for position,



and lots of fans holding flags and balloons and cheering on cue.



I arrived right when IOC President Jacques Rogge opened the ceremony. He was in the news last summer for criticizing fan-favourite Usain Bolt's celebrations during the Beijing Olympic track events. The controversy sparked THIS VIDEO, much to the enjoyment of internet users everywhere.



After taking some pictures, I heard a speech which I recognized snippets of, from my truck. I looked at the stage, and saw on the screen part of the reason I had to wake up at 5:00am this morning. I didn't recognize the speaker though, so maybe I transported his speech writers. I'm happy for all the work I get, but sometimes it's fun and easy to complain!



I decided to get a bit closer to the stage, and was surprised that the crowd of people seemed to be parting in front of me as I walked! Just as I started feeling like Moses, I realized that there were police officers clearing a path for the torch to run through. I quickly got out of the way, and found myself with a great vantage point in the front row. Small flags were being handed out, and I grabbed one and joined the celebrating throng.



I got a fairly good picture of the torch as it came down the channel. I had to jostle a bit, and I wish my picture was better. But it all happened so fast and everyone was trying to get pictures, just like me.

The torch is meant to be reminiscent of snowdrifts and the path of the winter wind, as well as the smooth marks that skates and toboggans leave in the snow during a quintessential Canadian winter.



The torch and the first torch bearers made their way to the stage, where they joined some politicians and leaders of industry. They waved and posed for pictures, as I picked my way through the crowd and walked back to my truck.

It was interesting to be there in the midst of Olympic torch celebrations for the second time in less than ten months. I joined the throng previously in China, when the torch relay came through Guangzhou in May. That blog post is HERE.

No comments: