Saturday, January 17, 2009

Whistler Olympic Park

Today I had some drives to and from the Whistler Olympic Park, where the Olympic nordic skiing, ski jumping, and biathlon events will take place. Today was a World Cup nordic skiing event, and I drove some corporate spectators to and from the venue.

The Park is located about fifteen minutes south of Whistler. It's quite nice there. Here are some pictures. The sun was out and it was pretty bright. I was also taking these pictures in between drives, so I had to be fast.



This is Black Tusk in the background, a famous emblem of Whistler. It's visible form the Peak Chair, and elsewhere in the alpine. In the last ice age, a glacier encrusted this old volcano. The volcano blew, and the lava melted a chimney of sorts through the glacier. Then, the lava cooled and hardened, turning into aa. That created this stack. Very interesting!



Here are the ski jumps. Next week Mom and Dad will be here, and we hope to attend a World Cup ski jumping competition. I like how these have been built up against the trees and rocks, instead of in the middle of a plain, like Calgary's.



There's even a small day lodge. There were quite a few people at this event, and this small lodge wouldn't have been able to cater to them all. I'm pretty sure it's main function is to serve the public when there's not an event on. There are hundreds of kilometers of nordic ski trails for the public, and I believe this building is meant to service those using them.

Today was a good day since it was sunny, but I'm feeling bogged down by work related issues. I have been working every day for quite awhile, and have been dealing with work politics and some rent politics in that time. Woe is me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was happy to find another blog posting this morning... great way to start the day! Sorry to hear about all your 'politics'. It comes with the work territory, no matter where you are.
Have a good one!
Minke