Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Phoggy Wheather

It's been really foggy in Vancouver lately, and I've tried to take some nice pictures, but have failed.

The weather has been really sunny in Whistler for the past week, but very foggy in certain parts of The City. (We're like Ontario in a way...The City is taken to mean Vancouver.) It will be a nice sunny drive until we start getting close to downtown.

Yesterday I was driving north back to Whistler with no guests. I was in West Vancouver, and figured I might as well take advantage of the upcoming sunset and foggy weather, so I drove up Cypress Mountain on the North Shore. Everyone else had the same idea as I did, because the first pullout was full, and I saw almost everyone leaning over some sort of high-zoot camera, or posing in front of point-and-shoots.

I continued up the mountain, and stopped at the next pull-out, and tracked across the snow to get a good view of Vancouver. I was a bit higher up and a bit further from the action, but it was a good view anyway.

I had forgotten my camera at home, but had my new computer with me. My machine has a built in webcam that can be used to take still photos. I got out my computer, and alongside the photographers with hardcases filled with lenses, I held out my laptop, trying to aim it at the scenery. It was pretty tough since there's no viewfinder!

The embedded camera in my computer is great for web chats, but not ideal for capturing colour and detail in a wide landscape shot. I'll post what I took anyway.





You can barely see it, but a portion of Vancouver's skyline is visible poking through the clouds.

Next are some better pictures taken by others. These are the kinds of pictures I wish I could take myself!







These shots were originally posted here.

I'll finish the post off with a couple of my own, but it's not really related to fog. I took these on my way back from Kamloops last week, along the Duffy Lake Road, a bit more than an hour north of Whistler. I love taking mountain scenery shots, because the majority of Canadians will never find themselves in such beautiful surroundings. I'm very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post Jonster! We here in Ontario have had piles of snow. Hills maybe, but not mountains! Work is good but getting really busy. Was thinking of you this week and wishing I had your great assistance again for a few hours!
Love you,
Kir