Tuesday, August 12, 2008

One Last Post from KVD



Well, our trip is over, and J-man and I are both back safely in Canada - me to the old grind of defending Kitchener's criminal element, Jon to hopes of new adventures in B.C. Here are the last set of photos for our faithful readers to enjoy.


A nice scene from a cafe terrace in the middle of Ubud - a lush creek valley.

Below are Kecak dancers. The main dancers tell a story from the Hindu holy writings, but the best part is that the story is accompanied by an orchestra of more than a hundred men, stripped to the waist and singing and making monkey noises. For real!



The next few pictures are from my luxury accomodation in Macau. I bet the Olympic athletes who trained in Macau didn't stay at the San Va! I stayed there for the place's funk factor, and also because I thought the guest house was in Indiana Jones. Well, I watched the movie when I got home, and it's only the outside street scene that was in the movie! So I could have just as well stayed at the nicer spot a block away for the same brush with Hollywood movie glory.





Staying at the San Va was a real experience - no a/c, mid-30 degree heat, and interesting neighbours...



From Macau, I took a ferry to Central in Hong Kong, and from there another ferry to Lantau Island. Lantau was where Jon and I went bike riding my first day in Asia. I stayed overnight in a down-at-the-heels seaside resort, and enjoyed the last day of my trip.

On my last night in Asia, I went to the China Bear pub, a watering hole that (aside from the decor) would not have been out of place beside Bentley's in Stratford. I had a pint of cider, Hawaiian pizza, and apple crisp with ice cream - cultural re-integration! Here's a photo of me after my tasty pub supper...



View from outside my hotel - Mui Wo harbour.



I had an amazing trip. The best part was rediscovering the joys of budget international travel. It was a rush to meet new challenges and to see and experience something new almost every day. I'm already thinking about where I'll go next!

For all the joys of being away though, it was great to be back. Peter met me at the airport and I was so happy to see him again and talk to him about all about my adventures. I've had a good time since I've been back too - going up to Peter's mom's cottage, paddling at the Woodstock Dragon Boat Festival, spending a nice day in Stratford with Mom and Brooke. Our indoor soccer team is winning in our league, and I'm back training for mountain bike racing. So life is good here too.

See you all in person soon!
Signing off, this is guest blogger KVD's last post.

No comments: