Sunday, August 3, 2008

Blue Hat



I nicknamed myself BlueHat today, because of my swimming cap. I used to be a bit self conscious about it, but now I don't care. Here's a picture of me sans my blue hat, but avec zinc on my nose and cheek bones.

When I want to surf, I grab my board, put in my earplugs, don my blue hat, and hit the surf! I tell my Indo friends who man the surfboard stand, "Blue Hat's going out!" and they respond with something like "Go for it Blue Hat!" and I dash off into the water.

People look at me oddly out there, and at first I assume that I'm in their way, or their really impressed with my surfing. Then I remember it's probably my blue hat.

Today was an OK day in the surf, and I caught one sort-of-wave today, so that was fun. It was during the first of my three sessions, and I think it happened because I wasn't tired. The rest of the day, I had a tough time standing up, because my arms lacked the strength to pop-up with confidence. (

(A pop-up, if that's the correct term, is the transition from laying prone on your board to standing up. Ideally, you do it in one explosive maneuver, starting with a dynamic push-up movement followed by swinging your legs under you. It's tough. The good surfers have big shoulder muscles and arm muscles from doing it, and paddling, all the time. I do not.)

I spent all day on the beach today, with the exception of an hour when I changed some money and ate breakfast. I spent the whole day in the shade by the surfboard stand, where I read my book, took a nap, and chatted with Jake (real name Bernard, pronounced very differently) and Robin. I took the odd walk up and down the beach too.

Jake/Bernard and I talked about what it's like to work the surfboard stand. His English is good enough to work in a restaurant or a hotel like his friend did, but even though it would pay more, he's not interested.

He said "Of course I make less money...but I like working on the beach. If I want to sleep, I sleep. If I want to surf, I can surf. If I want to have a beer, I have a beer. I get to talk to people all day, and make many friends. I don't care that I make less than other jobs..." A good example of money not being everything.

I will make another surfing appearance as Blue Hat again tomorrow. My ear is doing OK, and the earplug/blue hat combo is proving effective.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Are you getting muscles???

jvd said...

No, they're just shadows and post-surf pump. I'm back to being spindly by supper time.

Anonymous said...

Jonners!
Glad to hear blue hat is back...Good work on moving on from the original stand to Jake's - shiftiness over there at Solomon's I think. All good here - I was SICK until today with either jet leg plus bad Macau water or maybe just jet lag. Bad belly and then couldn't sleep at night but was exhausted too. Finally feeling better today. It was great seeing Peter, I'm thinking of Bali lots still. Love you! Kir

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a grand couple of days. 139

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a grand couple of days. 139