Thursday, August 28, 2008

Last Post: Goodbye Guangzhou, Goodbye China!



Well, it's been a long time coming, but this is the last post of jvd in China.

This picture was taken in the Guangzhou airport just before I passed through security. The feeling I had when leaving China for the last time was so thoroughly positive...I felt that the whole year of hardship and toil in the classroom was worth it, just so I could feel that particular enormous sense of accomplishment.

Now that I've been home for a few weeks, the tough experiences of teaching in China have faded in my memory, and the good ones remain. While it was a tough slog, it was a great experience and I'm glad I did it.

The highlight of the past year was running the xc race series in Hong Kong, particularly the final race at Discovery Bay, where I ran a tactical and fast race, coming in 15th out of 300 racers. My goal had been to break the top twenty, and I did that in the final race.

In retrospect, I also enjoyed training for those races in Guangzhou. I am one of the few people who have trained hard in those adverse environmental conditions...the humidity, the heat, the ever-present pollution. I trained hard, and saw results in the race series.

Thanks for reading this blog. I don't know what the future holds for this space, but I imagine I'll keep this blog up for awhile, until I find something else to write about.

Again, thanks for reading. It was enjoyable writing words that I knew people were going to read. I found I really enjoy writing, editing, and rephrasing my work. It was fun, all this blogging.

JVD is no longer in China, and this blog is no longer active. Bye!

No comments: