Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mosquito Lake trail run, Pemberton

Today I ran the Mosquito Lake trail run in Pemberton. It wasn't very well advertised and I wouldn't have known about it, but my roomate knows I've been running lately, and saw the run advertised in the paper, and passed it on.

It's a trail run, and the length was "about 10K." There was no online registration, no web page, and no directions about how to get there.

I figured it would be very grass-rootsy, and I was right! I got there, and found that you can park right near the registration tent. I wouldn't have found it if I hadn't sleuthed it out online before hand. I think mostly locals go to this race, and everyone knows where Plover Rd meets Reid Rd! There was a flimsy sign on a hydro pole though.



Looking around, I didn't see too many serious runners. Most were women over thirty wearing 3/4 length yoga pants, and many had dogs along. A true community race! I really liked the feel of it.



I had forgotten my watch, so was disappointed that I wouldn't know where in the run I was, and how time was progressing. I was also wishing they had a timing system, which they didn't seem to. At the start though, they mentioned the timing method.



When you cross the line, you are given a popsicle stick that has your placing on it. When you finish, a volunteer holding a stopwatch calls out the time to another volunteer who writes it on a poster. There would also be prizing for the top three finishers, courtesy of a nearby B+B who helped with setup and food.

The race turned out to be very technical, and the course was a killer! Huge hills, technical downhills, and lots of trees. With a bit of advertising effort, this run could turn into a classic suffer fest.

I started well, and was running with a friendly woman who had good gear and good form. I think she's sponsored in some way as well, since most of her gear was all one brand.

I suffered through the hills, and was reminded that I really need to work on my hill training! This run was tough, and I wasn't feeling 100% limber. It could be I'm still recovering from last week's half marathon, or it could be that I've only run once since I finished it.

I did well in the technical downhills though, so that was fun. Usually I struggle in those situations, but not today.

Here I am with my placing popsicle stick, by the offical results table! A very solid finish, and I'm quite happy with it.



I'm really enjoying running this season. These past two races have taught me that I need to work on my hills, and my staying power late in races. So, I must do hill reps more and also not shy away from LSD runs (Long, Slow Distance) which I find a bit boring and time consuming. I prefer to do intervals! I also need to keep working on my core strength, and improving my running form.



Here's my prize! It's a hat. I'm standing with the owners of Drumkeeran House, a Celtic B+B on the water. They were very friendly, and completed the run together. Head to the Drumkeeran House for all your event and hospitality needs!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

3rd place? Nice! That looks fun!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your blog. You did great! Minke