Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Roof Racks

I love roof racks. Not the kind that is just a rack, but the ones that hold things like roof pods.

The roof pod is a Thule but not a Thule. Most of our trucks have them, some don't.

The reason I love roof racks with pods on top is because I've learned to appreciate them. You never appreciate something until you don't have one, and that was my experience today.

I got a call asking me to do an unscheduled drive, picking up some people at the airport. These folks were coming from Seattle, and were meant to fly in. Because of all the snow, their flights ended up being canceled and they quickly rented one of the last cars available and drove up to the airport themselves. I was to meet them there.

The only truck available for me to take was one without a roof pod. The people I was to bring up had skis. The office informed me that my vehicle could handle them, because it had a roof rack, a tarp, and tie down equipment.

The roof rack I was dealing with was about the size of the whole roof, and was like a metal grid. Here's a picture of a smaller one, but this is essentially what I had on top of my truck. They call this a "roof basket" which makes sense.



There was a custom tarp in the back of the truck that is meant to cover your luggage, and there were also lots of tie downs and bungee cords. I would have to wrap the skis in the tarp, then secure them for the journey north.

I met my guests, loaded up the luggage, invited them to get into the truck, then set to work sorting out the roof rack and tie downs.

I realized it was going to be impossible for me to do everything while running around the truck standing on the running boards and the rear bumper, reaching up with my hands...the skis were too long, the truck was too big, and the rack was too high.

My only option was to climb right on top of my truck and get into the rack along with the skis and tarp.

I mounted the rear bumper, then scrambled up the back of the truck trying not to punch in the rear window in the process. Good thing I'm spry, nimble, and a specimen of physical strength and agility!

I then walked around on top of the truck, fastening things and securing my cargo. I tried to walk only on the basket's cross bars, but once I found myself standing on the actual roof of the truck. Ooops. I don't think I damaged it at all.

I was in the middle of the loading area at the busy airport, where you're only supposed to sit for a minute. I was there for quite a bit longer. Cars were having to avoid me, but that was OK. I had a number of bemused spectators too, waiting on the sidewalk with nothing to do other than watch me.

After a solid ten minutes of cinching and hooking and wrapping, I was finished. I launched off the top of the truck and landed a bit harder than I was expecting on the road, which was probably eight feet below. With stinging heals I got in the drivers seat, and off we went.

I told my guests that I was really proud of my work, and I wish they could see it. They were really friendly and said that is sounded and felt like I was having a wrestling match with their skis.

We had an enjoyable drive, and they bought me a hot chocolate in Squamish. I then repeated the climbing process in the Whistler hotel parking lot, this time more prepared for the harsh dismount.

All this climbing and effort would have been avoided if there was just a roof pod on the top! At the time I was thinking that securing the ski equipment was the most frustrating thing I'd had to do in quite some time, but now it doesn't seem so bad.

I hope they put a real roof pod on the top of that truck. It must be quite a job for other drivers to manage, if they're not willing to clamber up on the roof. It's a good thing I'm up for any challenge and am able to display adaptability!

No comments: