Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My great meal I just made

I just made a great meal!

Carmella is cooking on Monday and Wednesday, and I'm Tuesday and Thursday.  We're very progressive.

I wanted to make something fun, and I found a recipe that looked pretty easy and had a high rating on allrecipes.com .

It was going to be rack of lamb! 

I went to Safeway to get the meat, knowing that I only needed some breadcrumbs because we had everything else already.  They didn't have any lamb at all, so I walked a few blocks up to another grocery store, who only had frozen racks.  I needed to make a quality meal, and frozen just wouldn't do.

I then went to Choices, a Canadian chain of organic stores.  They had what I was looking for!  I purchased a rack, and brought it home.  Carmella was working out at the gym, and would be home at 8.  I started cooking and preparing around 7pm.

I seared the lamb in olive oil first, then coated it in a bread crumb mixture that had rosemary and garlic in it.  I put a layer of dijon mustard on the meat to get the bread crumbs to stick.

It was excellent!  I was very happy it was successful, and Carmella really enjoyed it too.  Our oven is gas powered, and it's hard to get an accurate reading on the temperature because the knob is all scratched off.  But, we have an oven thermometer and I used that, and preheated the oven to 450F.

Here it is!  The meat was so tender and great, and I think it's one of the best meals I've made.  I used a new steamer insert we got to steam the asparagi.  The meat may look pink, but that's the way it's supposed to be.


Yum!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Good work, Jon!
I just added to my tiny repetoire by learning to make Shepherd's Pie. It's delicious, nutritious, and lasts me the whole week. Ha ha.

Unknown said...

Really nice work Jon! I really like All Recipes. Also, Peter bought a cookbook called Sundays at Moosewood or something like that, and it is really delicious. I've been cooking a lot from it. The lamb looks amazing!!